Starting a Business
Welcome to Grand Prairie! We are growing by leaps and bounds, and business is booming!
Thinking about starting a business? Here's a list of steps to get you started:
- Select a Name and Register with the Counties in which you plan to do business
- Select Legal Structure: After deciding to establish a business, you must choose the type of legal structure that best suits your business. You can review these types by visiting the Small Business Administration resources here:
- Sole Proprietorship
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- Corporation (S/C):
- Write a Business Plan: The Chamber offers free business mentoring in partnership with SCORE. Contact the Chamber to make an appointment with an SCORE Counselor.
- Obtain your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN): Determine here if this applies to your business.
- Lease Office, Warehouse or Retail Space (if not home-based): Grand Prairie Economic Development Department can assist with available business space
- Open the Company Bank Account: Use the bank you use for your personal checking, or refer to one of our many banking members for their expertise and services.
- Obtain Licenses and Permits: Business licenses are not required, but many other permits and licenses may be required for your business. Check here to see what may apply.
- Hire Employees (if applicable): You have free access to the Chamber's website to post your job opportunities, as part of your membership.
- Set up an Accounting and Record-Keeping System: There are many members of the Chamber that specialize in accounting. Visit our directory on line to get started.
- Obtain Business Insurance: The Chamber has numerous members who can discuss your insurance options and write you the appropriate policy.
- Systemize and Organize: Document policies and procedures for day to day business.
- Develop a Business Identity: Logos, tag lines, branding (colors and fonts)
- Market Your Business: Build a website, promote the website through networking and marketing. Get plugged in to all that the Grand Prairie Chamber has to offer!
The Small Business Administration (SBA) provides great information in their "Business Guide".
Another great resource: SCORE's reference manual "Simple Steps for Starting Your Business"
The Grand Prairie Chamber of Commerce is here for all businesses in Grand Prairie and the surrounding areas. Contact us for assistance at 972-264-1558.